Sunday, September 23, 2012

Big Orange Fall Spirit

I've been thinking lately that maybe I should start writing. Something to record my everyday doings and give me something to look back at when I'm older and remember certain things. And I was going to do it in diary form, and I primed the front of a sketchbook in preparation to do that, but I still haven't actually finished/ started painting anything else on the front cover, which means I can not viably make myself write in it until I do so.....So I'm going to test out blogging. This could be fun, and who knows, maybe I will actually keep up with it? Here's to hoping!


SO: in lieu of that long, overly-explanatory introduction, I suppose my first topic of discussion will be fall, ie. the best season of the year that leads up to the best season of the year. Allow me to explain. You know how some people say that half the fun of a road trip is in getting there? Well, I equate this metaphor to fall.

See, my absolute favorite season of all time is winter, for all of the completely uncommon and un-cliche reasons that no one has ever talked about before; lots of holidays, lots of food, and lots and lots of warm cozy clothing. In my world, this means family time, cinnamon buns and sausage pinwheels, and knee-high fur boots with wool-knit socks....I'm grinning at the computer just typing about it. BUT: fall is that amazing anticipatory period leading up to the fast whirlwind of a season that is November and December. I cannot explain all of the things I look forward to when fall comes around.


In Germantown, it means the Haunted Corn maze at the Agricenter, pumpkin spice lattes at the Saddle Creek Starbucks, preparations for Starry Nights at Shelby Farms, craft booths in the Germantown Festival, Delta Fair (besides the amazing music lineup, I feel like any year now I'm due to run into Ryan Gosling at the ferris wheel like in the Notebook...my time is coming I know it.) Then there's Red Devil football games and Homecoming week at my old high school, decorating my front porch for Halloween with at least ten of our friends and neighbors (see hilarious and somewhat inappropriate pictures below from one of my favorites). I could and would go on and on and on all day if I didn't think it would induce carpel-tunnel syndrome.
























So, now in Knoxville, out of dorm-life and with apartment and car in accompaniment, I am so extremely excited to start welcoming in the fall season in new Big Orange fashion. I cannot wait to start carving pumpkins for our front porch (okay okay, more like the hallway/ 5 foot space in between ours and our neighbors apartment doors) decorating the banister with purple and orange lights, and filling the rooms with the smell of festive holiday treats. And if you know me, you know that I don't take on baking lightly, so this really means business. I've already begun looking up fun things to do around town, which may or may not include a visit to Boo at the Zoo and a corn maze on a local farm. Call me five years old or whatever you will, but I Can. Not. Wait.


There's so much more I could go on about with this topic, but honestly, I haven't eaten in about 2 hours and I think it's about time I revisit the wonderful world this is the leftover food from having my parent's in town this past weekend (another reason why I love fall -- Parent's Weekend and football time in Tennessee ;) I'll be writing again soon, but in the meantime, I recommend a colorful scarf and a chai latte to get you into the autumn spirit. Happy Fall!!



No comments:

Post a Comment